Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jan 24 - The Kite Runner and sharing found books




By the way, I didn't keep the Kite Runner to myself... I passed it on the same way I found it. When my friend EH moved to Germany I gave it to him as his farewell present. It'd be great to know if E has read it and what his thoughts of the book are. Share your input if you read this blog entry. Let us know how far the kite has flown!

As a kid I used to fly kites. August is the windy month in Colombia. There is actually a very famous kite festival in Villa de Leyva (Boyaca). The fun part was to make one's own kite with string, wood sticks and colourful cellophane... and an old bed sheet that you ripped into strips of fabric for a tale... My own kites never went very far so my family ended up buying me one every year. They of course didn't last very long... they get caught in trees, they fall far off the hill where you're standing, they go flying on their own with a surprising gust of wind or they get stolen... Nevertheless it was so literally uplifting to see your kite flying higher than others, conquering the skies... right before circling and falling. Kites are magic, and the Kite Runner has the ability of reminding you of that innocence of childhood, and also the subsequent fall... when we as youth awake to many other realities we ignored out of excitement.

Here is a the "cheesy" trailer to the movie:

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Julie Laurin said...

Antonio, it's so great to read yet another wonderful article on your blog. It means a lot to me because I'm a huge lover of kites. I began flying stunt kites a few years ago and LOVE it. If you're ever interested in giving it a try, just let me know and I'll gladly take you out to try it sometime.

I think you'll appreciate this video that I took of my most recent flight with a 75 foot red tail attached to one of my stunt kites! http://julielaurin.com/?p=533

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. Cheers!

Antonio said...

Deal!
Thanks for sharing :-)
I'll be away for about a month, back at the beginning of March...

Juan Carlos said...

The Kite Runner is a great novel. I had to read it for my English course and I enjoyed it a lot. It is a very interesting window to see that world that looks so far to ours, and understanding that stories of jealousy, fears and love happen everywhere.
¡¡¡Saludos!!!