Saturday, January 16, 2010

Jan 16 A Leon de Greiff Feeling - Ottawa


It is a quiet Saturday in Ottawa. I've been listening to Juanes all day. Leon de Greiff, Colombian poet, visited my mind this afternoon, and his voice called me from within... to recite his poem Relato de Sergio Stepansky. Leon de Greiff was born in Medellin, Colombia at the turn of the 20th century. His work has an invaluable legacy. I had to learn the Relato in the 8th grade for my Spanish class. Quite nervous about making a mistake when speaking, and not knowing where to place my hands, I decided to accompany it with a guitar arpeggio. It saved me and it helped me get the best grade I've ever been awarded, an 11 over 10. I visited Leon's marvelous poem again during my first year at University, and played it once more with the support of my guitar. Many years later, alone at this lonely hotel suite, I recited it again... in a different format.

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha sido emocionante escuchar a Leon de tus labios y al compás de tu guitarra, muy bonito.
P.