Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jan 23 "Pierogies for lunch" and the Prince by Machiavelli



I had never tried pierogies until I came to Canada, they are some kind of dumpling filled with stuff. When the government of Stephen Harper decided to "prorogue" parliament last year (cancel it/postpone it)to avoid a vote of confidence, the words prorogue and pierogi were matched up. "Pierogies are for lunch" was one of the lines that rally goers scream in front of the Parliament in Ottawa today as we got together to oppose the decision to close the House of Commons until the Olympics in Vancouver are over."Go back to work", "Don't shut democracy" and "Pass that bill" were some of the other popular lines.

Beautiful day to protest, somebody said that Mr. Harper may want to take credit for such a bright day as he believes to be "the king". I don't want to go that far, I'll call it "The Prince" as I choose this book by Machiavelli to be the one of the day.

Mr. Harper may think that "the end justifies the means", but he may be wrong this time. We certainly hope so... in the best interest of the country. It is hard to believe that he represents the vast majority of Canadians.


For more videos on the rally, please visit my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/alvalle

Tip of the day: Never take for granted that the members of parliament represent us as the people of a nation and they are accountable to us because we elect them and give them the power to act on our behalf.

I'd like to thank Julie Laurin (A first-time rally-goer as well) for sharing her comments with me. This is the first of a two-video story that she's posted on her blog. You can follow her at: http://julielaurin.com/?p=582

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Julie Laurin said...

Hi Antonio, great video! In fact, I've just posted it on my blog as it was my first protest in Ottawa, too. :)

http://julielaurin.com/?p=582

Greta said...

Hey Antonio! Great to see you out there! I didn't get to the rally here in Vancouver today unfortunately but was definitely thinking about those who were opposing the governments decision to take a long spell off work.
I think the last federal election had the lowest voter turnout in Canada's history (?) so I guess Mr Harper doesn't represent the majority of Canadians. If only they would get off their butts and vote! Even if they vote for the right and least they are voting and exercising their privilege as a citizen.