Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I saw a snake!

I did my afternoon of stair cleaning at the cottage. This time I did the front entrance (the wood steps). And then went down until I reached the storage room. What I basically do is rake, get rid of autumn leaves, get rid of grass and wild herbs. I was a bit tired, especially of the black flies. I had repellent on but it wasn’t enough.. they found my unprotected spots. It is the buzzing what “bugs” me the most.
I then trimmed my head’s hair a bit with the machine. Just the sides as I looked like a patriot. Swimming comes next but when I got down to the lake I thought I should go for a pedal boat ride. The lake was calmed like a pool. The rock looked inviting. So I pedaled with the sun on my back. The temperature went up to 26 today. I got to the rock. I tied the boat to a ripped orange rope that was hanging from a tree, jumped into the water and swam to the area where it is easier to access the diving part of the rock. I was all excited like a little kid who’s exploring a mystery island. I went up as much as I could barefoot and checked the boat, I was afraid the orange rope would not be strong enough to hold it… but it was there waiting for me. I then heard the grass move. I am used to the sound now because I hear chipmunks all day. It was a snake. Black and yellow, rather long, sticking its red tongue out. I found it amusing but a bit scary. I wasn’t sure if it was poisonous, it may not be, but I didn’t want to try… I jumped in the water right away. It felt great… and I wanted to try it again and again. I went on the rocked and walked up. I saw the snake rolling down again. A bit closer to the bottom of the rock. I would say it was close to a metre long and middle body rather thick. Thicker than the rope that tights the pedal boat. I didn’t feel like seeing it again so I jumped from a higher point this time. Swam a bit, got on the boat and swam back against the sun.
Lovely. Today I’ve seen a wood pecker, a beautiful blue jay and a snake . There was something in the water on the way back but I couldn’t see what it was because I had the sun in my eyes. It was on the surface for a while and the dived in and disappeared... Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: