Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dan Halton: Show me the other side of the story!

I just watched the first segment of the CBC's Sunday show and I am disgusted. There was an anti police brutality protest in Montreal today, and as expected, police showed its brutality against the protestors. What are we viewers being shown? Only how "brutal" the protestors were? The police...hmmm... they were just protecting innocent bystanders and vulnerable businesses? Fine, the protestors threw bananas at the police (and some stones), they set fire to garbage cans and broke some VIP corporate windows... let's say they "should be penalized"... but come on mr. journalist... show me the other side of the story... have at least one protestor express his/her viewpoint... don't only ask police their view, they will always find a way to justify violence... I expect a right wing agenda from our government not from our national broadcaster. I am skeptical enough about news and the distorted power of media, but don't give me such easy reasons to justify my claim... trick me a bit more so I can generate debate, try to confuse me, make me believe you stand on every side, that everybody has a voice... don't be so obvious...
Shame on Dan Halton for such a poor report. His background in Political Science and Masters in International Relations should give him deeper insight into the core of news stories... 
Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Antonio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Antonio said...

My response to Dan Halton's response:

Thank you Mr. Halton for your prompt response.

I understand your point. Nevertheless, as a viewer, I needed to hear that information you just shared with me... that you indeed tried to talk to protestors, or spoke to them behind cameras. Your message came across incomplete and unfortunately very one-sided.

Please don't take me wrong, I am not defending the actions of violent protestors, I am concerned about the peaceful actions of serious demonstrators... as a journalist and writer myself, I disagree with one-sided views on issues that may have a strong impact on the public's opinion.

Irresponsible media stories can easily stereotype protests, minimize some serious issues, and indirectly justify future brutal police actions, such as the death of Freddy Villanueva. What may as well stick to the public's mind is "how uncivilized the Freddy Villanuevas can be" (to the point that it is "almost ok" to exercise violence on them); instead of how cruel and out-of-proportion police actions can also be during many legitimate public demonstrations.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Sincerely,

A. Aragon

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that people with little real education try to sound smart and educated... Bloggers, like Antonio, who sit at their computers and try to make up social commentary on events they weren't even witness to are just plain posers! This just reinforces their true ignorance on matters of social importance. Get out there and do something REAL!

Antonio said...

What is real?
_ being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verified existence; not illusory;
- no less than what is stated; worthy of the name
- not to be taken lightly
- capable of being treated as fact

I appreciate the comments of "Anonymous", because it means that my blog entries are generating debate. I agree. I am sitting behind a computer, or behind a TV screen to be a witness to what reporters, like Mr. Dalton, are showing me as a "passive" viewer. Yes, let's say I am a passive viewer (though my comments weren't exactly those of a passive person), but if I am one, as such, I claim that would like to see a few more sides of a story. I wasn't in Montreal to witness the protest and its consequences, I relied on Mr. Halton's report... thus I am in my right to demand more, I needed to see more, I wanted to know more about it... one of the major actors of this report the protestors themselves, were silenced... That omission triggered my comment... and, correct me if I am wrong, I have a valid reason to state my claim. I am not trying to be smart, I don't need to prove anything, in fact, I wasn't sure anybody read my blog comments, I am delighted! I was simply responding to an action that outraged me and Mr. Dalton was kind enough to respond to my message. He clarified a few points he missed on the story.
I invite "Anonymous" to enlighten us more about the "real matters of social importance" and to share with us some of those "real" things he/she's is referring to in regards to "doing something out there". First of all, what do you know about my actions? and second of all, why do you invite us to join yours... I'd be happy to participate.