Monday, June 30, 2008

Latest Readings

The Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (Canada). I liked the narration style and the development of characters (their transformation). The use of time, going into the past and moving into the present in a broad life span. I thought it would make a good movie due to the elements involved (an old rural town, religion, a circus and its magician, the study of saints, World War I, Toronto’s society of the 50’s and 60’s). I am planning to read What’s bread in the bone from the same author.
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel (Canada): The interesting epic of a young Indian castaway (Pi Patel). The narration is great and full of metaphors. The end lacked the enthusiasm of the whole story.
Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje (Canada): A beautiful narration set in California and France. Ondaatje creates this lively characters filled with life and emotions. The story is fantastic yet real and close to one’s heart. The only element I disliked was the description of card games like poker.
I am now reading Snow by Orhan Pamuk (Turkey). I like his slow pace in narration and the description of an environment that is not familiar to me but seems as so. Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: