Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Meeting J

It had to happen...

I took the Queen's way up to Island Park and drove down to Wellington. I was 20 minutes early so I drove around the block as the butterflies augmented in my stomach. At 9:26 I parked the car on a plate of ice that has survived global warming, right across from the house.  Sushi spotted me first, I wasn't the post man at whom she barks loudly everyday but I did pick up the newspaper and delivered it in J's hands as I also gave them a box of cookies from the Wild Oat. We were both nervous we confessed to each other later on. It was expected, it was necessary, it was what it was. 

The house was spotless and natural white blooming lilies air-freshened the quiet environment. We sat at the kitchen while she made tea. What to say? We talked about the city, the weather, the snow, the rain, our families, the past.. an slowly moved into the present, our present, our shared part in the intersection of two different sets with common elements. Everything was deep but handled with sobriety, heart-felt in opposition to staged or preconceived. There are fears and unknowns and that's the magic of it. 

It had to happen, we had to meet, and it didn't hurt.
Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: